Therapy abuse occurs when a therapist takes advantage of a patient’s trust to manipulate, control, or otherwise harm them. Therapy abuse can take the form of sexual, physical, verbal, emotional, or financial abuse. If your therapist has abused you in Memphis, you may be able to seek compensation for the damages you incurred as a result.
A Memphis therapy abuse lawyer from Jenner Law will examine your case, advise of your legal rights, and help you determine how to proceed with your case. A free consultation is available when you call.
Filing a Memphis Therapy Abuse Case
Therapists in Tennessee are required to adhere to the rules of the Tennessee Board for Professional Counselors and the American Counseling Association (ACA) Code of Ethics. These guidelines establish acceptable professional behavior for therapists to protect patients from therapy abuse.
Therapists have a duty to provide mental health services that promote their clients’ psychological health and well-being. When a therapist uses their influence over a patient to cause harm or benefit themselves, they are engaging in therapy abuse. Types of therapy abuse include:
- Physical violence
- Verbal violence
- Derogatory statements
- Belittling behavior
- Emotional manipulation
- Giving or receiving gifts
- Contact outside the office
- Crossing personal boundaries
- Unprofessional physical contact
- Sexual or romantic comments, messages, or activities
- Fostering dependency to prolong treatment
- Unnecessary treatments and medications
- Overcharging for services rendered
- Soliciting business from the patient, their friends, or family members
- Breach of confidentiality
Therapy treatment can create an imbalance of power in the therapist-patient relationship, and unscrupulous therapists sometimes take advantage of the power dynamic. A Memphis therapy abuse lawyer can help you determine whether your therapist has engaged in abusive behavior and discuss your options.
For a free legal consultation with a Personal Injury lawyer call,
Damages You Can Claim for Memphis Therapy Abuse
If you are injured due to your therapist’s unethical or abusive treatment, you can seek damages for the losses you sustained as a result.
Such damages include:
- Immediate and long-term healthcare
- Pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional anguish
- Loss of income and reduced income potential
- Compromised quality of life
- Psychological trauma and PTSD
A Memphis attorney who handles therapy abuse cases can establish the monetary value of your case and defend your right to fair compensation.
What to Do If You Are a Victim of Therapy Abuse
At Jenner Law, we understand that every therapy abuse case is unique and personal. If you have been injured due to a therapist’s negligent or malicious actions, you can follow these steps to protect your legal right to compensation:
- Speak to your therapist: If it is a question of treatment methods, your therapist may not be aware of the damage they are causing. By speaking with them, you may be able to establish a new treatment plan. However, this does not apply in cases of physical, verbal, or sexual abuse.
- Seek a second opinion: If you aren’t sure whether your therapist’s treatment constitutes abuse, seeking a second opinion from another therapist may be beneficial. While patients are typically encouraged to have only one therapist at a time, it is reasonable to visit another licensed and qualified professional if you believe your current treatment is ineffective or harmful.
- Contact the authorities or licensing board: If you are in immediate physical danger from your therapist, call 911 and seek medical attention. Under no circumstances should your therapist touch you or invade your personal space. If you are not in immediate danger, you can reach out to the Tennessee Board for Licensed Professional Counselors, Licensed Marital and Family Therapists, and Licensed Clinical Pastoral Therapists for guidance or to file a complaint.
- Obtain medical documentation: If possible, obtain copies of your medical records, doctor’s notes, second opinions, photographs, screenshots of communication, and other evidence that supports your claim for therapy abuse.
- Contact a Memphis therapy abuse lawyer: A therapy abuse attorney can help you obtain the documentation you need to establish a solid case against an abusive therapist.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Statute of Limitations for Therapy Abuse Cases in Memphis
Depending on the nature of your case, Tennessee has established a statute of limitations for filing a personal injury or medical malpractice lawsuit. This means you have a limited time to sue for therapy abuse.
Although you may have years to file, your attorney will need that time to obtain documentation, determine your case’s value, and prepare the lawsuit. Therefore, you should consider contacting a Memphis therapy abuse attorney as soon as possible so they have time to establish a substantial case on your behalf.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Why You Should Partner With a Therapy Abuse Lawyer
For more than three decades, the personal injury lawyers at Jenner Law have represented victims of premises liability, personal injury, medical malpractice, and therapy abuse. We have fought for clients in a broad range of therapy abuse cases. Regardless of your case’s complexity, our attorneys can handle the legalities so you can focus on recovering from your injuries.
If you partner with Jenner Law, we will:
- Examine your case to determine the monetary value of your losses
- Compile evidence to support your case, including:
- Medical records
- Copies of communications between you and the therapist
- Photos of any injuries
- Financial statements
- Contact medical and financial experts for testimony to support your case
Finally, we will conduct negotiations with the therapist’s legal counsel or insurance company to fight for the compensation you deserve. If we cannot reach an acceptable agreement with the other party, we will file a complaint with the courts and take your case before a jury.
Contact Jenner Law’s Therapy Abuse Attorneys for a Free Case Evaluation
Our therapy abuse attorneys will aggressively pursue your legal right to fair compensation for injuries you incurred due to therapy abuse in Memphis.
Contact us today for a free case evaluation. We will personally review your case and help you decide how to move forward.