Therapists, counselors, and other mental health professionals in Oklahoma must meet specific legal requirements regarding licensing and professional behavior. When a therapist does not act in a manner consistent with legal and ethical requirements, they may have committed therapy abuse.
Therapy abuse can take many forms, including physical, psychological, sexual, and financial abuse. However, if an Oklahoma City therapist has abused you or someone you love, you might have grounds to file a lawsuit for your injuries. The therapy abuse lawyers at Jenner Law will listen to your story and examine your claim to help you determine whether you can pursue compensation for your losses.
When You Can File a Therapy Abuse Lawsuit in Oklahoma City
The Oklahoma Board of Behavioral Health Licensure and the American Psychological Association have established professional standards of behavior for psychotherapists, counselors, therapists, and other behavioral health professionals. To maintain their professional standing, therapists must comply with these standards and work in the patient’s best interests.
Psychotherapy often creates a sense of intimacy between the therapist and their patient. Emotional transference (when the patient sees the therapist as an authority or parent figure) frequently occurs. Therapists who take advantage of the power imbalance or intimacy of a therapist-patient relationship in these ways engage in therapy abuse:
- Hitting, pinching, or other physical violence
- Using belittling or demeaning language
- Shouting, screaming, swearing, and other verbal violence
- Psychological and emotional manipulation
- Crossing physical or psychological boundaries
- Committing privacy violations
- Contacting the client outside the office
- Engaging in sexual or romantic communication and activity
- Fostering client dependency for financial gain
- Continuing unnecessary or harmful treatment
When a therapist uses their power or knowledge to benefit themselves or cause harm to their client, they have engaged in abuse. An Oklahoma medical malpractice lawyer with familiarity in therapy abuse litigation can assist you with your claim and help you decide on your next steps.
For a free legal consultation with a Personal Injury lawyer call,
Losses You Can Claim for Therapy Abuse in Oklahoma City
If you or a loved one have experienced therapy abuse in Oklahoma City, you can claim compensation for the losses you incurred as a result.
Damages you could seek include:
- Physical and psychological medical treatment
- Pain and suffering
- Trauma and PTSD treatment
- Mental and emotional anguish
- Compromised quality of life
Jenner Law’s Oklahoma City therapy abuse lawyers can examine your case and help you understand the claim process.
What to Do If Your Therapist Is Abusing You
The Jenner Law team understands that coping with therapy abuse is often confusing and frightening. If you experience abuse by a therapist, you can take specific steps to protect your safety and legal rights:
- Remove yourself from harm’s way. Physically remove yourself from the situation if you feel in danger. You should never feel unsafe with your therapist.
- Call for emergency assistance. If you sustained physical injuries or are in immediate danger, call 911 for help.
- Seek medical attention. Go to the emergency room or your primary care physician. Not only will a doctor’s visit allow you to receive treatment for your injuries, but it also provides critical documentation you will need for your therapy abuse claim.
- Seek a second opinion. If you believe your therapist has prescribed treatment that is against your best interests, you can seek a second opinion from a qualified licensed practitioner. In addition, a second opinion can provide proof of your mistreatment and gives you an expert opinion you can use in your therapy abuse claim.
- File a complaint. When you are safe, file a complaint with the State Board of Behavioral Health. You can fill out an online complaint, email the board, or call (405) 522-3696.
- Gather evidence. Procure your therapist’s notes, medical records, screenshots of texts and emails, phone call logs, and any other documentation that upholds your claim.
- Engage an Oklahoma City therapy abuse lawyer. Partner with an attorney with experience handling therapy abuse cases in many settings. They will help you determine whether you have a case and ensure you meet Oklahoma’s two-year statute of limitations for medical malpractice cases.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
How Jenner Law’s Oklahoma City Therapy Abuse Lawyers Can Help
Over the past three decades, Jenner Law has established a reputation for successful and effective representation in thousands of personal injury and medical malpractice claims, including numerous therapy abuse cases. Our compassionate legal team knows that therapy abuse cases are intensely personal and acutely distressing. Thus, we will handle your case with the care and thoughtfulness it deserves.
The team at Jenner Law firmly believes in holding therapists accountable for unethical and abusive activities. Therefore, we will vigorously defend your right to justice and fair compensation under the law. Our dedicated attorneys will take care of the legal aspects of your case so that you can focus on your recovery. We will:
- Compile evidence, including medical records and expert statements
- Establish the monetary value of your claim
- Submit a complaint to the State Board of Behavioral Health on your behalf
- File a claim with the appropriate insurance company
- File a civil lawsuit for damages you incurred as a result of therapy abuse
- Communicate with you throughout the process
No matter how complicated your case, the attorneys at Jenner Law are here to help you every step of the way.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Jenner Law to Discuss Your Therapy Abuse Case
If you have experienced therapy abuse in Oklahoma City, our attorneys will vigorously pursue your right to fair compensation for your losses. We take on therapy abuse cases on contingency, meaning you pay no upfront fees. Instead, we only get paid if you win your case; we then receive a percentage of your award. However, you can rest assured that we will not take your case unless we believe you have a good chance of receiving a fair settlement.
Contact Jenner Law today to arrange your free case evaluation. Our lawyers will examine your claim and provide a straightforward analysis that allows you to decide how to proceed.