When you seek treatment from a therapist, whether it’s for a long-term mental disorder, acute grief counseling, or another issue, you trust them to act in good faith. However, not every therapist acts with their patients’ best interests in mind. When this happens, you have legal options with the civil court system.
The San Francisco therapy abuse lawyers at Jenner Law are well-versed in California laws regarding therapy abuse, medical malpractice, personal injury, and patient confidentiality. If you suffered harm from an unethical therapist, we’re ready to seek compensation for your losses.
Jenner Law Operates on a Contingency-Fee Basis
Securing help from a therapy abuse lawyer in San Francisco costs you nothing up front or out of pocket. A percentage of your settlement pays for our efforts. You’ll know everything about our payment plan from the very beginning. That way, you won’t have any surprises or unexpected developments.
For a free legal consultation with a therapist abuse lawyer call,
What Constitutes Therapy Abuse in San Francisco, CA?
Therapists occupy a unique position in the healthcare industry because they often access patients’ private thoughts and emotions. Since therapists work with patients on an intimate emotional level, they must establish and maintain safe, professional boundaries. When a therapist violates these professional boundaries or takes advantage of a patient’s emotional vulnerability, they are committing therapy abuse.
Per the American Psychological Association (APA), some examples of therapy abuse include:
- Unprofessional touching or violating of personal boundaries
- Unwanted or violent physical contact
- Verbal abuse, belittling language, or disrespectful communication
- Contact from the therapist outside professional communications
- Graphic or inappropriate texts, phone calls, or social media contact
- Seeking a sexual or romantic relationship with the patient
- Giving or receiving expensive or emotionally significant gifts
- Increasing the patient’s dependency on the therapist through isolation from friends and family
- Sharing the patient’s private information with a third party
- Providing incorrect diagnoses or treatments either purposely or through negligence
- Purposely misdiagnosing or overtreating the patient for financial gain
Since you trust your therapist to make good decisions, it can be hard to realize when they are acting abusively. You may feel guilty, isolated, or as though you are overreacting. If you believe you have been abused by your San Francisco therapist, our attorneys can assess your legal options and explain more.
Do I Have Grounds to Sue My Therapist for Abuse in San Francisco?
To protect patients from unscrupulous therapists, the California Board of Psychology has established laws that outline appropriate behavior and interactions between therapists and their patients. For example, therapists who overtreat patients to make money (or who solicit sexual interaction from a patient) are in violation of California laws and regulations.
If your therapist has violated the above California laws, you can seek compensation for losses you incurred as a result. Jenner Law’s therapy abuse attorneys will evaluate your case and help you decide whether you have grounds to sue in San Francisco.
We’re Ready to Recover Each of Your Injury-Related Losses
Whether through an insurance claim or lawsuit, compensation in your case could account for:
- Healthcare expenses, including the cost of seeing a new therapist or staying at a long-term mental health facility
- Any lost income or employment-related benefits
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
You could recover other losses than those listed here. Jenner Law is ready to listen to your story now.
Click to contact our Therapist Abuse Lawyers today
What You Can Expect from Your Therapy Abuse Lawyer
When you team up with Jenner Law, your lawyer will:
Assess Your Situation and Explain Your Options
If you have been abused by your therapist, you should have the opportunity to tell your story to someone who believes you. At Jenner Law, we understand that it can be scary to come forward about therapy abuse. Yet, through all interactions with our team, you can trust that we’ll listen to your concerns and take appropriate legal action.
Establish Your Case
With decades of experience handling a variety of therapy abuse, medical malpractice, and personal injury cases, our legal team knows how difficult it can be to prove an abuse claim. Yet, this is something we have decades of experience handling.
To “prove” your case, we will establish:
- You had a patient-therapist relationship.
- Your therapist acted unethically.
- Your therapist’s actions caused you to suffer physical or emotional harm.
- You have losses stemming from the situation.
You may wonder how we can hold your therapist accountable if no one witnessed the abuse firsthand. We can use previous complaints filed against the therapist, your personal testimony, and other information to support your right to damages.
Adhere to Your Case’s Filing Deadline
Depending on the circumstances under which the abuse occurred, you may have a limited time in which to file your lawsuit. The California Code of Civil Procedure outlines specific statutes of limitations for medical malpractice and personal injury suits.
Our team can review your situation, determine whether filing a lawsuit could benefit you, and take action within the applicable deadline.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Listen to What Previous Clients Have To Share About Jenner Law
When asked about their experiences working with Jenner Law, our clients have shared:
- “Jenner Law Firm was absolutely amazing from start to finish. Jake and Taylor were easy to get in contact with and responded very quickly. There were times I would get frustrated and they were very patient. I appreciate everything they did for me.” –– Crystal A.
- “Jenner Law is a great firm. The owner, Rob Jenner, treated me like a person, not a payday. He provided me his personal cell phone number so I could contact him directly if I wanted to. His staff were always polite and willing to help me with any questions that I had.” –– Jennifer D.
Contact Jenner Law Today for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one has experienced therapy abuse in San Francisco or the surrounding area, reach out to the therapy abuse attorneys at Jenner Law to discuss your options. Our legal team will provide a free personalized consultation to determine whether you have a case and how much compensation you can seek.
Call or text (888) 585-2188 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form