If you or a loved one was injured because of a large corporation’s misconduct, you likely are not alone. When corporations do harm, they often affect many people, and those people have the right to file a lawsuit to recover for those losses. When those individual lawsuits are consolidated before one Judge to oversee them all, that is what we call a “mass tort.”
Benefits Of Filing a Mass Tort Lawsuit
There are pros and cons to every type of lawsuit, all of which we would be happy to discuss with you. The primary advantages of being part of a mass tort include:
- Enabling you to band together with other consumers who have similar complaints while still filing your case individually
- Allowing you to recover for your injuries, including medical expenses, loss of wages, pain and suffering, disability, and reduced quality of life—as compared with just an individual lawsuit, which may be prohibitively expensive to bring as a single suit.
- Giving you greater resources with which to fight the well-funded, well-protected companies that caused your injury
Alternatives to mass torts include class action lawsuits, in which you may not have an individual lawsuit but are just a member of a “class” of plaintiffs, and an individual lawsuit, in which you would confront the defendant on your own without joining other suits.
You do not have to live in the same area or state as others in the mass tort. In fact, consumers nationwide from every state in the union can file in their own home jurisdictions. The lawsuits are then consolidated for “discovery purposes” before one Judge, and then routine returned to their home jurisdiction in the event the cases do not settle. Jenner Law works with law firms in your area to serve people around the country, and lawsuits from different states can still be combined into a single mass tort.
The Ultimate Goal of a Mass Tort
As with other, similar types of legal action, the goal of those whose cases are consolidated in a mass tort is to hold a negligent or malicious organization responsible for their actions and recover compensation.
At Jenner Law, we are proud to help people victimized by large corporations whose decision makers think they can get away with careless behavior. No one should be above the law.
What Do Mass Tort Lawyers Do?
At Jenner Law, we want to do more than provide the same cookie-cutter representation that other mass tort lawyers offer. This means offering a truly individualized experience based on each client’s unique needs by:
- Getting to know you: At no cost or risk to you, a team member will listen to your story and explain your options for seeking a remedy.
- Collecting evidence: Various sources may have information crucial to your case, depending on your situation. We could talk to your friends and family, take or examine photos, request medical records, and more.
- Determining how to proceed: As we have already said, filing a case that becomes part of a mass tort is just one option among many for seeking compensation. We can work with you to determine which option works best for you.
- Seeking compensation: We can resolve some cases out of court by settling with the liable party. Other times, we must go to trial and represent our clients in the courtroom. We are ready and able to pursue either possibility.
We encourage you to contact us as soon as possible so you can avoid running afoul of your state’s statute of limitations. In Maryland, for example, a person must generally bring a suit within three years from their injury date or from the date they discovered that they were injured. The amount of time you have may be different if you live elsewhere. Most statute of limitations are either two or three years from the date of the discovery of the harm, though not all.
Examples of Mass Torts
Our team has handled different kinds of mass tort cases nationwide. This includes cases related to the situations described below, but please do not hesitate to reach out to us even if your specific case is not listed here. These are just examples of the kind of work we do, not the entirety of our experience.
Defective Drugs and Medical Devices
When you get sick, you rely on medical treatments to help you feel better and return your regular life. If those treatments turn out to be defective, it is normal to feel angry and betrayed, especially if the defect worsens your condition.
You took a drug to make you feel better. You used a medical device to help you get active and back on your feet. How is it that these companies continue to make defect.
We have previously represented—and continue to represent—victims of the following negligent circumstances at the hands of large corporations.
The medication Tenofovir has improved the lives of those living with HIV, but it has costly side effects. We allege in our Complaint that Gilead, the manufacturer of Tenofovir Disoproxyl Fumarate (TDF), allowed TDF to remain on the market while withholding a safer version of the medicine.We have previously represented—and continue to represent—victims of dangerous HIV Drugs.
Orthopedic hip implants:
Exactech’s Connexion GXL Hip Liner was recalled because the material it is made of might fail earlier than advertised. Smith & Nephew manufactured defective hip prosthesis as well. These are two litigations our firm has been actively engaged in.
Elmiron is a medication designed to treat painful bladder syndrome. It has been linked to numerous adverse conditions in those who have taken this drug including vision loss in some patients.
3M Military Hearing Loss
Jenner Law is handling claims alleging that hundreds of thousands of veterans who served in Iran and Afghanistan between 2003 and 2015 suffered permanent hearing damage due to defective earplugs. You may be eligible for compensation if you or a loved one are a qualifying veteran.
Fraudulent Overdraft Fees
If you feel that your bank has been charging overdraft fees that overreach in their scope, you may be right. Some banks and Credit Unions have taken advantage of customers by overcharging them. Jenner Law has been helping these customers get their money back. Banks and credit unions should not be allowed to get away with taking customers’ money through improper and fraudulent fees.
Everyone deserves to live in a safe, healthy environment where:
- The water, air, and soil are uncontaminated
- The entire community gets an equal say in what types of facilities are built there
- You can easily access information about how local businesses dispose of toxic waste and chemicals
- Any potential hazardous businesses, such as energy and gas companies, sewage treatment plants, and the like, follow all regulations
If your neighborhood fell prey to an ecological disaster or neglectful utility company, we can help. Environmental litigation is an important way of keeping corporations in line and compensating victims for harm done.
Experienced Mass Torts Attorneys On Your Side.
Jenner Law is highly experienced in litigating mass tort cases. Our attorneys can help you determine if participating in a Mass Tort lawsuit is the right legal route for you to take. Call us today for a free case review. We are eager to hear about your experiences and do whatever we can to confront the organization that hurt you.