When a therapist fails to uphold professional boundaries, takes advantage of a patient’s vulnerability, or violates ethical guidelines, this might constitute therapist abuse. Therapist abuse is particularly harmful to patients because it erodes trust in mental health professionals and makes it difficult to overcome emotional and psychological challenges.
In association with licensed lawyers, our Ilinois personal injury lawyers from Jenner Law represent survivors of therapist abuse in the state. We know how to pursue accountability and compensation in these cases, holding the therapist responsible for their legal and ethical transgressions. Our team provides free consultations. Contact us to get started.
How Does an Illinois Attorney From Jenner Law Handle a Therapist Abuse Case?
At Jenner Law, we have decades of experience fighting to recover compensation and get justice for our clients. We represent those with serious physical and psychological injuries, understanding the effect these events can have on their daily life.
The Jenner Law team will advocate for your best interests and protect your rights as we seek compensation and accountability in your case. When you hire our team to represent you, we will:
- Listen to your story and provide support throughout the process
- Assess your legal options based on the information you provide
- Investigate what occurred and gather evidence to support your case
- Seek justice through a financial payout and holding the therapist accountable
- Handle all communication about your case
- Determine who is liable for your injuries
- Pursue compensation through an insurance settlement or trial
Jenner Law represents clients on a contingency fee basis. We charge no upfront fees before we go to work on your case, and you only pay if we win. Contact us today to learn more and discuss your legal options with our team.
For a free legal consultation with a Personal Injury lawyer call,
Our Team Understands How to Identify Therapist Abuse
Therapists and their patients must have deep-seated trust for treatment to be effective. The patient shares closely guarded secrets, feelings, and fears with their therapist, making them vulnerable. For this reason, therapists must obey strict ethical and professional guidelines.
Unfortunately, therapists who take advantage of the transference phenomenon during therapy, where a patient transfers feelings about others onto their therapist, can cause significant harm to the patient. They may use the transference phenomenon to exploit their patients for their own benefit, whether financially, emotionally, or sexually.
Some signs of therapy abuse may include:
- Emotional manipulation for personal or professional gain
- Personal contact with patients outside the office
- Crossing physical and psychological boundaries
- Oversharing about the therapist’s personal life
- Requesting or giving excessive gifts
- Encouraging the patient’s dependency on the therapist
- Violating the patient’s confidentiality
- Sexual contact or communication
- Dual or multiple relationships with the patient
Among the primary concerns is how this type of abuse affects the patient’s view of mental health care services and therapists in general. Because of the abuse they endured, they require additional care and support. However, they may not trust mental health professionals who provide the psychological and emotional services they require.
What Will an Illinois Therapist Abuse Attorney Do to Build a Strong Case?
We understand how difficult it is to share your story with strangers and answer questions about the abuse you endured. Our trauma-informed team strives to make this process as easy as possible for every survivor of therapy abuse.
When you trust our team with your therapist abuse case, you can expect us to:
- Give you a safe, understanding space to speak openly and share your feelings about what happened
- Take confidentiality seriously and never violate your trust
- Conduct a discreet investigation and preserve the available evidence
- Identify, document, and seek damages
- Handle your legal case while you focus on moving forward with your life
- Fighting for your best interests throughout this process
Our legal team understands the evidence necessary to present a compelling argument for compensation in a therapist abuse case. The items available will depend on the circumstances and unique details of the case. The evidence we use to support these cases frequently includes:
- Any saved communication between the survivor and therapist
- Any documentation of an inappropriate romantic relationship
- Eyewitness statements or testimony
- Relevant treatment records, such as details about repeated, lengthy sessions
- Documentation of the client’s damages
We are often able to settle therapist abuse lawsuits out of court, but we will prepare to take your case to trial if necessary. We will not settle for less than our client deserves.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Types of Damages in a Therapist Abuse Case
When we represent a therapist abuse survivor in Illinois, our goals are to recover fair compensation to cover their related costs and hold the therapist accountable for their actions. We generally do this by making them pay for the expenses and losses the patient has related to their abuse and treatment.
The recoverable damages in a therapist abuse case include both economic and non-economic damages that occur because of the therapist’s actions. Our team identifies, documents, and values the recoverable losses and seeks compensation that accounts for all losses. The value of these cases depends greatly on the care needed by the survivor and the other costs they incurred.
Some common types of recoverable damages include:
- Therapy and mental health support related to the trauma experienced
- Long-term treatment for PTSD
- Lost wages or earning capacity
- Any out-of-pocket expenses incurred
- Pain, suffering, and emotional distress
- Reduced quality of life
- Mental anguish
Your attorney can help you better understand the financial recovery you may pursue in your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Discuss Your Illinois Therapist Abuse Case With Our Team for Free
Jenner Law provides free consultations for survivors of therapist abuse and sexual abuse in Illinois. Let us review your legal options and see how an Illinois therapist abuse lawyer can help you get justice. You do not have to fight this alone. We believe you. We are here for you.
Contact us now to get started.