What Is Happening In The Archdiocese of Baltimore?
The Maryland Attorney General’s Office is completing work on a four-year investigation of allegations of abuse in the Catholic Archdiocese of Baltimore, committed by priests, teachers and other archdiocese employees. The Archdiocese of Baltimore includes 153 parishes, 40 elementary schools and18 high schools.
The Attorney General’s Office has now revealed that more than 600 young victims were subject to sexual abuse by the Archdiocese clergy, spanning a period of more than 80 years. Abuse took place throughout the archdiocese’s nine Maryland counties and Baltimore City . The investigation found that the archdiocese failed to report many allegations of sexual abuse, conduct adequate investigations, remove abusers from their posts and restrict their access to children. Instead, the attorney general’s office found, the archdiocese “went to great lengths in order to keep the abuse secret.” The probe, the second in the country initiated by a state prosecutor, seeks to bring accountability and detail to cases long covered up or shielded by legal defenses like the statutes of limitation.
The public outcry over these abuses by clergy and other staff members of the Church has prompted many survivors to come forward. Those who suffered in silence for years finally have learned they are not alone. Indeed, in recent years, thousands of victims have come forward with their stories of sexual misconduct at the hands of Catholic Church staff. The Catholic Church has paid more than $3 Billion in settlements for abuse. Now adults, individuals have finally found their voices heard.
Survivor & Advocate Stories
Rev. Debra Rhodes: Survivor
Gemma Hoskins: An Advocate for Survivors
Carolyn Surrick: Survivor
Kurt Rupprecht: Survivor
Donna Vandenbosch: Survivor
Frank Schindler: Survivor
Mary Beth Diaz: Family Member of Survivor
You Are Not Alone. Jenner Law Is Here to Help Survivors of Clergy Abuse.
From simply listening to your story without judgment assistance navigating the complexities of compensation programs and statutes of limitations, we are ready to help Baltimore clergy abuse survivors find justice and healing. Our injury law firm of legal professionals and advocates has more than three decades of experience working with survivors of sexual abuse and litigating cases against Catholic dioceses and religious orders nationwide. Contact us today. Your information will remain completely confidential.
What Are you Doing to Help Clergy Sexual Abuse Survivors?
We believe sexual predators within the Catholic Church need to be held accountable for their horrendous actions. Our lawyers and professional, trauma-informed and trained staff seek to hold the Church accountable to the fullest extent of the law and help our clients move forward towards healing.
We support the efforts of the Survivors Network for Those Abused by Priest (“SNAP”). It’s one way Jenner Law is helping survivors use their voices to hold the Church accountable to the fullest extent of the law. By support SNAP, it’s our goal to help our clients move forward towards healing. We hope you will consider supporting SNAP, as well, and have provided a convenient link to its website.Donate to the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests
News Updates & Announcements
Timeline: Events leading to Archdiocese of Baltimore child sex abuse investigationPosted on: March 14, 2023 | Author: Rob Jenner
Today is the deadline for attorneys to submit their suggested redactions to a 456-page investigation into the history of child sexual abuse within the Archdiocese of Baltimore. It’s one of the final steps before Baltimore Circuit Court Judge Robert Taylor releases the long-awaited report that details the “sexual abuse” and “physical torture” of more than …
Maryland Senate Committee Passes Child Victims Act – What’s Next?Posted on: March 11, 2023 | Author: Rob Jenner
This week, Maryland’s Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee held an historic vote – to finally approve the passage of the Child Victim’s Act of 2023. This bill would allow child victims of sexual abuse, clergy abuse and otherwise, to bring a cause of action against their perpetrators and their institutional accomplices. Most survivors can’t sue past …
With Gov. Wes Moore’s support, survivors hope this is the year the Child Victims Act finally passesPosted on: March 6, 2023 | Author: Rob Jenner
More than 25 survivors of childhood sexual abuse and their advocates gathered Thursday afternoon in a legislative hearing room in Annapolis to once again share their stories for lawmakers and the public. Some of them shook as they spoke, some held back tears and others flat-out refused to talk about the past for their dignity’s …
- Maryland Survivors’ Attorneys-Advocates Hail Today’s Historic Passage of Child Victims Act, Vow Legal Action To Finally Hold Fully Accountable Abusers and Their Enablers
- After Years of Attempts, Maryland Will Expand Ability to Sue Institutions for Child Sexual Abuse
- Child Victims Act to move to Maryland House floor: ‘It has taken a long time, so let’s not wait any longer’
- Sexually Abused as a Child, The Reverend Debra Rhodes, An Episcopalian, Stands with Survivors, Has an Urgent Message for Maryland Lawmakers
- Maryland Report on Catholic Church Expected to Shine Light on Parishes and Schools with Multiple Child Abusers
- These Law Firms Are Teaming up to Represent Abuse Survivors Ahead of Archdiocese Report’s Release
- Jenner Law, Baird Mandalas Brockstedt Federico & Cardea, and Grant & Eisenhofer Launch Alliance Leveraging Decades of Mass Tort Experience
- How Institutions Like the Catholic Church Weaponize Bankruptcy
- Senate Passes Bill Opening ‘Lookback Window’ For Childhood Abuse Lawsuits
- One Step Closer to a New Child Victims Act, Advocate Gemma (The Keepers) Hoskins Shares Why She Relentlessly Fights for Survivors
- Today Judge Robert Taylor issued his Memorandum and Order for Redactions of the Maryland Attorney General’s report of its four-year investigation of the Archdiocese of Baltimore
- Jenner Law / Grant & Eisenhofer, P.A. Joint Press Release: Awaiting Crucial Vote Today, Another Childhood Sexual Abuse Survivor Shares Her Painful Story, Urges Reform Bill Passage
- Jenner Law / Grant & Eisenhofer, P.A. Joint Press Release: Second Episode of Survivors Stories Starts Today; Follows Court Ruling on Release of Maryland’s AG Report on Systemic Clergy Abuse
- Judge Issues Order Paving Way for Release of AG Archdiocese Of Baltimore Investigation
- Jenner Law / Grant & Eisenhofer, P.A. Joint Press Release: New Series, Survivor Stories, Launches Ahead of Hearing on “Long Overdue” Maryland Child Abuse Victims Act Reforms
- Jenner Law / Grant & Eisenhofer, P.A. Joint Press Release
- Baltimore Sun
- Catholic priests sexual abuse case; Victim advocates join battle to make report public
- A Maryland judge perpetuates secrecy on clergy sex abuse – The Washington Post
- New Online Petition Supports Justice for Maryland Survivors
Jenner Law Compassionately Seeks Justice for Survivors.
With an exclusive concentration in personal injury matters, Jenner Law is committed to helping people and families obtain the best possible resolution for their clergy abuse case. Jenner Law has both the legal expertise and passion to tackle any obstacles that likely will be encountered in the litigation process.
Who Will Speak for the Survivors?
The alleged abuse of hundreds of children is a wildly disturbing subject, but what is even more disturbing is the pattern of response indicated in the tens of thousands of pages that were recently released. It’s clear that Accused priests were simply moved or promoted.
Many priests were placed back into the ministry. Although Church officials pass the blame to their predecessors and deny any attempts to cover up abuse scandals, it appears that there were serious problems with how these cases were handled.
Attorneys Advocating For You
Contact Us for More Information on the Archdiocese of Baltimore Clergy Abuse Case
For more information, speak to one of our experienced, compassionate, and discreet lawyers today at 410-413-2155. You can also fill out the form on this page to schedule a confidential, free consultation to discuss your situation.
Jenner Law cares and we are here for you every step of the way.