A clergy sexual abuse attorney at Jenner Law could seek the justice you deserve if you suffered childhood sexual abuse at the Catholic Community School of Baltimore Primary School. Childhood sexual abuse can affect a person for a lifetime.
The legal process can be challenging, but we will be there with you during every step, going after justice, transparency, and accountability. We are not afraid to battle the individual abusers and those who engaged in the coverup that allowed the abuse to continue. You can review your legal options and next steps with our team during a free consultation.
Recoverable Damages in Clergy Sexual Abuse Cases in the Baltimore Archdiocese
If you suffered childhood sexual abuse at the Catholic Community School of Baltimore Primary School, you might be able to go after financial compensation from the individual credibly accused abusers and those who enabled them.
Survivors can seek financial compensation in the civil courts for their losses, which can include things like:
- Health care expenses to treat the physical consequences of the abuse
- Mental health treatment costs
- Expenses for other medical treatment
- Physical discomfort and emotional distress, which can encompass “pain and suffering” and other losses
Nothing can erase what happened to survivors of clergy sexual abuse, but holding abusers and those who engaged in cover ups accountable can be a welcome victory. Jenner Law helps survivors of childhood sexual abuse fight for justice.
How We Help Survivors of Sexual Abuse Who Attended Catholic Community School of Baltimore Primary School
We understand that survivors of childhood sexual abuse have suffered a betrayal of their trust, and we feel strongly that our clients deserve to know what they can expect from us. When Jenner Law handles your clergy sexual abuse case involving the Catholic Community School of Baltimore Primary School, we promise to:
- Handle your case on a contingency-fee basis. This means you do not pay us any upfront attorney’s fees; you only pay legal fees when you win a settlement or court award. If you do not recover a settlement or court award, you do not owe us any payment. Our fees are a percentage of the recovery.
- We use our extensive legal experience to help you. We have handled many childhood sexual abuse cases, particularly involving the clergy. We know how they defend these cases through denial, minimizing the abuse, and challenging the accusations. We will counter these tactics and go after the justice our clients deserve.
- Childhood sexual abuse cases are unique, so we develop a personalized legal action plan. Cookie-cutter litigation approaches can be a mistake in these cases, which is why we tailor our strategies to your situation and desired outcome.
- We honor your decisions about the level of involvement you want to have in your case. Forcing someone to go beyond their comfort boundaries could jeopardize their privacy or well-being. You decide how much or how little involvement you have in your case. After all, your case’s outcome will impact your life more than anyone else’s.
The bottom line is that the clergy abuse lawyers at Jenner Law treat clients with respect and kindness. We take the time to listen and care about what is important to you.
Maryland Allows Childhood Sexual Abuse Survivors to Seek Financial Recovery
Adult survivors of sexual abuse in Maryland can sue for financial compensation from any clergy member or institution involved in their abuse during childhood. This is due to a new law, The Child Victims Act of 2023, which goes into effect October 1, 2023. The Act removed all statute of limitations deadlines that had prevented survivors from holding liable parties accountable.
Our clergy sexual abuse attorneys can seek damages for survivors under this new law. While general damage caps apply, survivors can bring forward a case to pursue the following:
- $890,000 in damages from a government institution
- Unlimited economic damages from a private institution for medical expenses, therapy expenses, lost income, and other financial damages
- Up to $1.5 million in non-economic damages, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
We will review your situation and determine what damages you could recover in your case.
Investigation of the Allegations of Childhood Sexual Abuse in the Archdiocese of Baltimore
Accounts of sexual abuse by the clergy have come to light for decades. The Maryland Office of the Attorney General investigated the Archdiocese of Baltimore, publishing its findings in a 463-page report in April 2023.
The Attorney General’s Report on Child Sexual Abuse in the Archdiocese of Baltimore identifies by name 146 accused abusers within the Archdiocese, going back to the 1940s. The Archdiocese acknowledged many of these allegations in its List of Priests and Brothers Accused of Child Sexual Abuse.
How the Catholic Church Covered Up Childhood Sexual Abuse in the Archdiocese of Baltimore
According to the Attorney General’s report, the Catholic Church’s hierarchy was also to blame because its coverup allowed the sexual abuse of minors by the clergy to continue. Some church officials viewed the sexual abuse as a mental health issue, not a crime.
This skewed perspective about clergy sexual abuse led to the church hierarchy protecting the abuser priests more than the children entrusted to their care. At most, a priest would be reassigned to a different parish and perhaps undergo “treatment” within the church. The church should have reported the crimes to law enforcement rather than covering up the sexual abuse.
Our Approach to Child Sex Abuse Cases Focuses on Recovery and Justice for Our Clients
We generally use a three-pronged strategy when we handle child sex abuse cases involving the Catholic Community School of Baltimore Primary School.
- We thoroughly investigate sexual abuse allegations to uncover the identities of all the potential defendants, including the individual abusers and the hierarchy in the church that perpetuated the abuse. Officials within the Archdiocese of Baltimore often denied or ignored allegations of sexual misconduct by priests. In many cases, they also covered up the abuse.
- We use expert witnesses to present our client’s case to the court. The mental health professionals and other health care experts we work with explain how sexual abuse affects the client’s life and quantify the client’s losses and other damages.
- We demand that defendants compensate our clients. If the defendants pay a fair settlement, we negotiate the settlement and help clients navigate the process. If a defendant refuses to reach an appropriate settlement, we can take them to trial and let the court decide.
This is merely an overview of the steps we take when handling clergy sexual abuse cases. We tailor our actions to the needs and unique circumstances of each case.
Get Legal Help Today for Childhood Sexual Abuse That Took Place at Catholic Community School of Baltimore Primary School
Jenner Law’s clergy sexual abuse attorneys fight relentlessly for justice for survivors of childhood sexual abuse at the Catholic Community School of Baltimore Primary School.
Please feel free to reach out to us today to get started. We offer an initial consultation at no cost and with no obligation. We will protect your rights and interests as we lead your case for damages and hold all parties responsible for harming you or your loved one.