Evidence you may need for a clergy sexual abuse lawsuit could include medical records, expert input, and witness statements. Survivors of clergy sexual abuse have the right to file lawsuits against those who wronged them. Evidence helps your legal team prove that you deserve compensation.
If you faced clergy sexual abuse, a lawyer from our firm can help you. We can handle the entire legal process for you, including evidence collection.
Evidence Your Legal Team Can Use in a Clergy Sexual Abuse Lawsuit
In some cases, physical evidence of clergy abuse does not exist. However, survivors can turn to the following sources of information during the investigation of a clergy sexual abuse case:
- Medical history: Medical records are essential in clergy sexual abuse cases. Any information your doctor can share about your medical history could provide the evidence we need to prove your case.
- Input from relevant experts: In a lawsuit, relevant experts, like psychologists, can analyze a survivor’s mental state. These analyses could show that a survivor’s mental health history is connected to abuse.
- Investigation of the perpetrator of sexual abuse: Investigations of the defendant could reveal past sexual abuse they committed.
- Testimony from witnesses: Testimony from witnesses can reveal further information about a clergy sexual abuse incident, like the defendant’s character. They can also provide statements that validate a survivor’s claim.
As the person pursuing the lawsuit, you are responsible for the burden of proof, meaning you must provide evidence that a clergy member sexually abused you. However, you don’t need to handle this process. A sexual abuse lawyer from our firm can manage the investigation of your case.
For a free legal consultation, call,
Working With a Clergy Sexual Abuse Lawyer from Our Firm
A clergy sexual abuse lawyer can act as your legal representative and guide. When selecting a firm, consider the following:
- Does the firm provide compassionate care to its clients?
- Do they have experience with clergy sexual abuse cases?
- Do they have positive case results and reviews?
- Do I appreciate the culture of the firm?
- Could I see myself working with them?
You can use these questions to find a firm that meets your needs and understands the severity of clergy sexual abuse. When you work with our firm, we will:
- Investigate your clergy sexual abuse incident and build your case
- Hire expert witnesses to provide insight into your case
- Explain your legal options
- Manage communications with all parties involved in your case
- Answer your questions, no matter how specific or complex they may seem
By working with a law firm that prioritizes your well-being, you can direct your energy away from your lawsuit to focus on the healing process.
Damages You Could Recover in a Clergy Sexual Abuse Case
Survivors can pursue compensation for the losses they suffered because of clergy sexual abuse. There are a few types of damages you could recover, which include the following:
- Medical expenses
- Mental health therapy costs
- Pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional anguish
- Lost quality of life
- Reduced earning capacity
Winning a lawsuit doesn’t just provide survivors with compensation—it also indicates to abusive clergy members that their behavior will not be tolerated.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
How Long do I Have to File a Clergy Sexual Abuse Lawsuit?
In years past, Maryland’s statute of limitations has restricted the amount of time that survivors of clergy sexual abuse have to take legal action against their abusers. Recently, a new law has been signed into law that will do away with the state’s time limit, permitting survivors to file a claim at any time.
Going into effect on October 1st, the Maryland Child Victims Act will allow survivors who were unable to file claims in the past to seek remedies for the emotional trauma they’ve endured. If this new law will allow you to take action for the abuse you’ve experienced, a clergy sexual abuse lawyer can offer the compassionate legal support you need to file a successful claim.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Resources for Clergy Sexual Abuse Survivors
Speaking up against your abuser can be incredibly difficult, especially without support. If a clergy member abused you, our team is here for you. We will support you throughout every step of your case. You should never feel alone when you entrust your case to our team.
Also, consider viewing the web pages of survivor organizations, like the Survivors Network for Those Abused by Priests (SNAP), or the Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network (RAINN). These organizations provide further resources to those who’ve experienced clergy sexual abuse.
Contact Us Today to Work With a Clergy Sexual Abuse Lawyer
Our lawyers have over three decades of experience representing survivors of sexual abuse. We can gather evidence of your abuse, prepare your case, and file a lawsuit on your behalf.
Confidentiality is important to our practice, and we’re here to provide the compassionate legal support you deserve. Contact our offices for a free case evaluation today.