You do not have to suffer in silence if you are a survivor of sexual abuse at Mount St. Joseph High School. There have been multiple allegations of childhood sexual abuse at this boys’ high school in the Baltimore area.
A clergy sexual abuse attorney at Jenner Law can hold the responsible parties accountable for the abuse and the coverup that allowed the childhood sexual abuse to continue. There have been criminal investigations and cases involving criminal charges, but survivors might be able to pursue financial compensation and other forms of justice for what they suffered.
Recoverable Damages in Clergy Sexual Abuse Cases in the Baltimore Archdiocese
Survivors of sexual abuse at Mount St. Joseph High School can suffer multiple kinds of damages. We realize the impact of this abuse can last a lifetime, so we give these cases the high priority they deserve.
Financial recovery can include monetary damages for mental health treatment for the mental anguish caused by clergy sexual abuse. Physical pain and suffering and any healthcare costs resulting from the abuse are also compensable.
These cases often involve non-economic aims, such as seeking justice and accountability, transparency, and truth.
In April 2023, The Child Victims Act of 2023 became law in Maryland, allowing childhood sexual abuse survivors to sue all parties that contributed to their abuse. The law ended the statute of limitations that stopped many from holding religious institutions accountable years ago. Now, survivors can pursue lawsuits against public and private institutions that allowed abuse to continue. Our clergy sexual abuse attorneys will review your damages and advise you on how to proceed with a lawsuit under this recent change in law.
Investigating the Allegations of Childhood Sexual Abuse at Mount St. Joseph High School
The Maryland Attorney General’s Office performed a large-scale investigation of the Archdiocese of Baltimore to review allegations of abuse. The office followed up with a list of 156 accused abusers from within the Archdiocese, including its clergy, seminarians, deacons, and employees.
According to the Attorney General’s Report on Child Sexual Abuse in the Archdiocese of Baltimore, released in April of 2023, there are numerous allegations of sexual misconduct in the Archdiocese.
The 456-page report reveals allegations against multiple parties who worked at Mount St. Joseph High School, including:
- Father Vincent Wilbur “Bill” Bechtel
- Brother Fabian, aka Francis E. Dolan (Xaverian)
- Father Edward Neil Magnus
- Brother Luanus, aka Lawrence C. Meegan (Xaverian)
- Brother Marius, aka John Francis Shine (Xaverian)
- Brother Cuthbert, aka Joseph A. Thibault (Xaverian)
The Attorney General states in its report that the Catholic Church hierarchy has “a history of repeated dismissal or cover up of that abuse.” We can seek justice and truth from the church hierarchy and the individual abusers that should have provided a safe environment for students.
The Archdiocese of Baltimore has acknowledged many of these allegations in its List of Priests and Brothers Accused of Child Sexual Abuse.
How Jenner Law Handles Clergy Sexual Abuse Cases for Our Clients
We handle Mount St. Joseph High School sexual abuse cases using a three-step legal process.
- We ensure we can identify every party involved in the sexual abuse you endured at Mount St. Joseph High School. The school could be liable, as well as individual priests or other employees. Those who covered up the abuse and failed to report the crimes to the police could also be liable.
- We work with experts to document the harm you suffered and the economic value of your damages. These experts can include experts in the fields of mental health, medicine, and other fields.
- After we determine who the liable parties are and build a strong case for your damages claim, we reach out to the liable parties and demand justice, which can include the truth about their actions and payment of monetary compensation. When the defendants refuse to comply, our trial attorneys can present your case in court. This includes presenting evidence that the sexual abuse occurred, which will use to build your compensation case.
These steps generally outline our approach, but we tailor our actions to your case’s needs and goals.
What Mount St. Joseph High School Childhood Sexual Abuse Clients Can Expect from Us
Survivors of childhood sexual abuse from the clergy often were not taken seriously. Their reports of abuse were brushed aside, minimized, or ignored.
At Jenner Law, we will give your Mount St. Joseph High School childhood sexual abuse case the priority it deserves. We believe you. Our clients receive these things from us:
- We handle each sexual abuse case the way our client wants the matter handled. We do not treat these important cases with a cookie-cutter process. Your life receives the most impact from the outcome of your case, and we always keep that in mind. You will receive personalized service from our legal team.
- The Jenner Law legal team that handles your case has extensive and valuable experience in these matters. We know how to handle clergy sexual abuse cases. We do not back down when the abusers issue blanket denials of the misconduct. We fight to get you justice.
- Your privacy and well-being are paramount. We understand the stress of taking legal action, and we strive to minimize any stress you may feel. Your level of involvement in the legal process will be up to you. We do the front-line work on holding those who committed clergy sexual abuse accountable for their deeds.
- The Catholic Church has massive financial resources. Individuals should not have to pay the considerable upfront legal fees to fight a battle for justice against such an adversary. We do not charge our childhood sexual abuse survivor clients anything upfront. We only get paid when you reach a settlement or a victory in court.
Every case is different, and we cannot guarantee a specific result, but we pledge to work tirelessly to get the best possible outcome in your case. We have won substantial settlements and verdicts for our clients, so we know how to handle big cases.
Getting Legal Help for Your Mount St. Joseph High School Childhood Sexual Abuse Case
At Jenner Law, clergy sexual abuse cases are a significant focus of our practice. Some law firms do not take these cases against Maryland clergy members credibly accused of sexual abuse seriously, but we understand how devastating it can be to have survived childhood sexual abuse from the very people who should have protected minors from harm.
We offer a free consultation, so feel free to reach out to us today to get started. We promise to treat you and your clergy sexual abuse case with respect, dignity, and sensitivity. You deserve personalized legal attention and to be taken seriously.