A clergy sexual abuse lawyer at Jenner Law could help you seek justice if you suffered childhood sexual abuse at Our Lady of Victory Primary School in the Baltimore area. You do not have to battle the school, the Baltimore Archdiocese, or the Catholic Church on your own
The attorneys at Jenner Law understand how sensitive and serious the abuse of minors is, so we treat our clients with the utmost respect and compassion. Criminal charges and investigations typically do not provide financial compensation for the survivors of this abuse, but we can seek justice for you and hold the responsible parties accountable for the abuse and coverup.
How We Handle Our Lady of Victory Primary School Childhood Sexual Abuse Cases
We follow a three-step legal process when handling Our Lady of Victory Primary School sexual abuse cases.
- It is essential to identify every party who might be liable for the sexual abuse you suffered. We thoroughly investigate to uncover the identities of all involved abusers and others who covered up or denied the conduct, failed to safeguard minors in their care, and failed to report the criminal activity to authorities.
- It could be a hollow victory if the jury does not have adequate evidence to substantiate how the childhood abuse you suffered affected your life. We work with field experts to build a strong compensation case for your damages. From mental health experts to medical specialists and other experts, we collect the evidence needed to substantiate your abuse lawsuit.
- When we have identified the liable parties and proof of your damages and other abuse-related losses, we go after the liable parties and demand they pay compensation for what you suffered. We are not afraid to take a case to trial when the defendants refuse to pay fair compensation for their actions.
The specific steps we take will vary from case to case, depending on each case’s unique circumstances and goals.
What Our Lady of Victory Primary School Childhood Sexual Abuse Clients Can Expect From Us
We treat childhood sexual abuse cases from Our Lady of Victory Primary School with respect and dignity. We will safeguard your privacy because we understand the sensitivity of these cases. Some clients are not comfortable with much involvement in the legal process, and we honor their wishes.
- We design a tailored approach to the unique situation of every case we handle. These cases are not cookie-cutter, so they require a personalized approach.
- We handle childhood sexual abuse cases on a contingency-fee basis, meaning we only get paid when you win in court or a settlement. You do not pay us any upfront legal fees.
- Defense tactics the opposing side may use do not intimidate us. We have significant experience in handling clergy sexual abuse cases. Our legal team has seen many different legal strategies and fought countless battles. We will fight for you and protect your rights and interests throughout the process.
You can count on our relentless devotion to your need for justice, transparency, and accountability. Victory can mean different things to different people. Our legal team will ensure we understand what matters to you.
Recoverable Damages in Clergy Sexual Abuse Cases in the Baltimore Archdiocese
Survivors of Our Lady of Victory Primary School deserve to hold clergy who have been credibly accused of sexual abuse accountable. There have finally been criminal investigations against the abusers, and some liable parties will face criminal charges. Still, the survivors deserve so much more, and Maryland recognizes that.
In April 2023, The Child Victims Act of 2023 was signed into law, allowing childhood sexual abuse survivors to sue all parties that contributed to their mistreatment. The law does several things, including repealing the statute of limitations that stopped many from holding religious institutions accountable years ago.
Now, they can seek compensation for abuse-related damages, including their health care costs, when they are ready. The cost of mental health treatment for the mental anguish the abuse caused can also be compensable, as can the physical pain and suffering of the survivor. The law raises the damages cap for these cases.
- In government agencies cases, the damages cap is $890,000 per claim.
- In cases involving private institutions, economic damages, such as medical bills and lost income, aren’t capped. Non-economic damages, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), are limited to $1.5 million.
Holding the liable parties accountable for their misconduct is also of value to the survivors. For decades, abusers hid in the shadows behind the hierarchy of the church, but survivors can gain some closure by seeking the truth and receiving acknowledgement of what happened to them.
Investigation of the Allegations of Childhood Sexual Abuse at Our Lady of Victory Primary School
For decades, there were rumors and whispers about sexual misconduct by priests, but very little was done about it. Finally, the Maryland Office of the Attorney General investigated the Archdiocese of Baltimore. The Attorney General’s Office released the results of that investigation in April of 2023 in a 456-page official report.
According to the Attorney General’s Report on Child Sexual Abuse in the Archdiocese of Baltimore, it uncovered numerous allegations of widespread clergy sexual abuse. The report identifies five accused abusers at Our Lady of Victory Primary School:
- Father Louis John Affrica, 1974
- Father John Carney
- Father Francis Ernst
- Father Anthony Joseph Maskell
- Father John Peacock
The report also states that the hierarchy of the Catholic Church practiced “repeated dismissal or cover up of that abuse.”
Eventually, the Archdiocese of Baltimore acknowledged many of these allegations in its List of Priests and Brothers Accused of Child Sexual Abuse.
How the Catholic Church Covered Up Childhood Sexual Abuse at Our Lady of Victory Primary School and Other Locations
If the hierarchy of the Archdiocese and the Catholic Church had reported the sexual abuse crimes against the children entrusted to them when these allegations first surfaced, the abusers would not have been able to continue the abuse. Instead, the church showed more concern for the abusers than the minors who endured sexual misconduct.
The report talks about the church viewing childhood sexual abuse by clergy similar to mental health or substance abuse issues rather than criminal activity. Priests were often sent away for “treatment” by the church or reassigned to new parishes instead of facing the criminal consequences of their actions. The church compounded clergy sexual abuse by failing to warn the new parishes about the priest’s misconduct.
Get Legal Help with Your Lady of Victory Primary School Sexual Abuse Case
If you are a survivor of childhood sexual abuse involving Our Lady of Victory Primary School, Jenner Law can hold the liable parties accountable for what you suffered.
We are ready to meet with you privately and learn how we can seek financial recovery and justice for you. The initial consultation is free and without obligation. You can reach out to us today to get started.