Therapist sexual abuse is more common than most people would think. When it happens, survivors have legal recourse when seeking financial recovery.
Jenner Law has more than 30 years of experience advocating for people in your situation. A Virginia therapist sexual abuse lawyer from our firm can evaluate your case and navigate the process of holding your abuser liable. You’re not alone. We offer comprehensive legal help, so you can start rebuilding your life.
How Therapy Abuse Occurs in Virginia
Clients tend to pour their hearts out to their therapists, which can leave them incredibly vulnerable. In some cases, clients develop a familial or romantic interest in their therapist, which is normal. This attachment is called transference. Therapists should recognize this and use their training and experience to resolve these issues.
Some therapists also experience countertransference, which is when a therapist projects unresolved trauma onto a client. Like transference, therapists should know to combat and resolve countertransference.
Unfortunately, some therapists use their client’s feelings for them to “groom” them for a romantic relationship. If this was the case for you, you may have options for recovering compensation from the liable party.
For a free legal consultation with a therapist sexual abuse lawyer call,
Why Choose Our Lawyers to Lead Your Therapist Sexual Abuse Case in Virginia?
Some law firms are jacks of all trades and handle all types of practice areas. That’s not Jenner Law. We focus on helping injured people and survivors of sexual abuse seek financial justice that reflects their unique circumstances.
Here’s what you need to know about entrusting your case to us:
- We advocate for survivors of sexual abuse: While we handle a few different types of injury cases, therapist sexual abuse cases are a specific focus for us. Our therapist abuse attorneys understand the unique dynamics of therapist-client relationships, and we recognize when therapists cross the line. Our experience prepares us to lead your case.
- Our firm shoulders your case’s financial burdens: You will pay nothing up front for our representation. Our firm covers all case-related expenses, such as filing fees, court costs, and consulting expenses. Our clients give us a percentage of their settlement if their case succeeds.
- We always go to trial when our clients need us to: Trials are not the right move in every case. However, when a client needs us to go to court, we do. Our attorneys are trial attorneys, and we have significant experience in the courtroom.
- Our team has recovered millions for our clients: We have a record of winning for clients, and we believe those results speak for themselves.
When victims of sexual abuse come to Jenner Law for help, we take their trust in us seriously. Our attorneys and support staff will do everything we can to win your case and secure justice.
How Jenner Law Will Fight for You in Virginia
After surviving sexual abuse, you shouldn’t have to struggle with a complicated legal case on your own. Jenner Law will manage every step of your abuse case in Virginia, including:
- Identifying liable parties: Any therapist who abuses their client could bear liability for any resulting damages. The therapist’s employer, co-workers who failed to prevent the abuse, and other parties could also be liable.
- Gathering evidence of therapist misconduct: We will look for any evidence that proves the therapist’s misconduct, sexual or otherwise. Evidence may include testimony from previous patients or penalties by licensing boards.
- Documenting your damages: To determine what constitutes a fair settlement, we may obtain medical records, psychological evaluations, expert testimony, and other documentation.
- Fighting for a settlement: A settlement allows a survivor of therapist sexual abuse to get fair compensation without going to court. The attorneys at Jenner Law always fight for a fair settlement. We also maintain the option of going to court. We simply fight for the compensation you deserve, however that compensation may come.
Our team will complete all paperwork, lead communications, and oversee the other details of your case. Sexual abuse cases aren’t easy, and having our firm lead the process may take a weight off your shoulders.
There Is a Deadline for Filing Your Therapist Abuse Case in Virginia
Virginia imposes a deadline on all sexual abuse lawsuits. Your case’s filing deadline depends on many factors unique to your situation. A large factor in your filing period depends on your age when the abuse happened.
If you are a survivor of childhood sexual abuse, you could have tolling exceptions not applicable to adult survivors of abuse. It’s important that we file your case within the right period; otherwise, you could lose the right to sue. You can learn more about your case’s statute of limitations when you call Jenner Law.
Our Former Clients Share Great Things About Working With Us
Before you hire a lawyer, it may be comforting to review client testimonials. Here are some testimonials that our former clients have voluntarily left for Jenner Law:
- “My case was exceptionally sensitive, and [Attorney Katie Kerner] was so compassionate toward me, every step of the way, as she helped me get to a resolution in the case against my former therapist. I considered Katie part of my support circle… I would recommend her and Jenner Law to anyone, and especially anyone in the same situation of mental health practitioner abuse. Outstanding, ethical, and caring people.” – [Identity Hidden]
- “Incredible communication, excellent way of explaining every procedure for people not involved with law, and extremely personable. I couldn’t be more happy and appreciative for their help!” – [Identity Hidden]
- “I had a great experience with Jenner Law, the communication during my settlement was excellent.” – [Identity Hidden]
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Recoverable Damages for Survivors of Therapist Sexual Abuse
Therapists who abuse their clients violate their trust. Our firm knows what you have been through, and we will work hard to honor your trust in us. A therapist sexual abuse lawyer from Jenner Law will fight for every dollar you deserve in Virginia.
Each therapist sexual abuse case is completely unique, and we never assume a client’s damages. Still, compensation in your case could account for:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental health complications, such as depression and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Medical expenses, including the cost of mental health services
Each victim responds differently to abuse by a therapist. Our attorneys will identify all of your damages and work to hold the liable parties responsible.
Call Jenner Law Today to Start Your Free Consultation
There’s no obligation to partner with us when you call. We simply want to answer your questions, provide more details about our firm, and learn your story. A therapist sexual abuse lawyer serving Virginia can start your case today.
Call Jenner Law for your free consultation.